FAQ for English majors regarding other things

Who are people I might need to contact in the department?

Do English (or RC) 1000 and English (or RC) 2001 count toward an English major?

Only insofar as they are required of all ASU students.

How many hours are needed for an English major?

36 hours for the BA; 39 for the BS. ENG (or RC) 1000 and 2001 do not count toward the 36/39 hours.

Am I supposed to look at DegreeWorks on my own?

Absolutely. It can be very helpful.

What if I see a mistake on my DegreeWorks page?

No problem! Your advisor can talk to someone in the College Advising Office and get it changed.

What does it mean if I have to get a memo to have a course counted?

At your request (and if it's appropriate) your advisor or the Assistant Chair will send a memo to the appropriate office (usually the Arts & Sciences Advising Office or General Education or the Registrar) asking for the exception to be made. They will probably need your Banner number. You will most likely be copied on the correspondence and you should save that email for your records.

If I'm in one concentration, can I take classes in another concentration?

Absolutely. We encourage you to take whatever classes interest you.

Which courses will help me get a job after graduation?

That depends on the concentration you're in and the job you want. This is a complicated question and is best discussed with your English advisor and/or with counselors at the career center.

Why are some classes in other buildings?

Sometimes we can't schedule all our classes in Sanford, especially if they are at high demand times or a very large class.

How many 4000-level classes do I need to take? What is the difference between a literature and non-literature 4000-level class?

All English majors, regardless of degree or concentration, must take at least four 4000-level classes, two of which are literature classes. Some degrees necessitate taking more 4000-level classes, specific 4000-level classes, and/or more than two literature classes (such as the Literary Studies concentration), so look at your program of study carefully.

As of Fall 2015, this is the list of 4000-level literature classes offered in the English department. Capstone sections of literature classes count as well, of course.

  • ENG 4280. Literary and Cultural Study Abroad
  • ENG 4560. Adolescent Literature
  • ENG 4570. Studies in American Indian Literature
  • ENG 4580. Studies in African-American Literature
  • ENG 4585. Studies in Ethnic American Literature
  • ENG 4590. Topics in World Literature
  • ENG 4710. Advanced Studies in Women and Literature
  • ENG 4720. Appalachian Literature
  • ENG 4730. The Novel
  • ENG 4760. Literary Criticism
  • ENG 4770. Early American Literature
  • ENG 4780. American Literature: 1783-1865
  • ENG 4785. American Literature: 1865-1910
  • ENG 4790. Modern American Literature: 1910-1960
  • ENG 4795. Contemporary American Literature: 1960-Present
  • ENG 4810. Advanced Folklore
  • ENG 4820. Medieval British Literature
  • ENG 4825. The Age of Chaucer
  • ENG 4830. Shakespeare: Early Works
  • ENG 4840. Shakespeare: Later Works
  • ENG 4850. Renaissance Literature
  • ENG 4860. Restoration and Eighteenth Century Literature
  • ENG 4870. Literature of the British Romantic Period
  • ENG 4880. Literature of the Victorian Period
  • ENG 4890. Twentieth Century British Literature: 1900-1945
  • ENG 4895. Twentieth Century British Literature: 1945-Present
  • ENG 4898. Topics in Irish Literature

What if I'm a junior/senior about to graduate and I decide I want to be able to teach high school English?

With the exception of some private schools, all high school teachers will need a license--that's why our BS English Education program comes with Teacher licensure. So, students who are juniors should switch from the BA to the BS and take the Education classes. If you are about to graduate and would like to teach high school English in a location other than a private school that does not require the license, talk to the College of Education to see which classes you would need in order to sit for the licensing exam.

If I take a cross-listed class (i.e. Communications and English; Theatre and English), does it matter if I sign up for the English section? What if that is full but there are seats in the non-English part of the section?

If there are seats in the English section, you should register for that section. If there are only seats available in the other section and you need the ENG credit toward your 36/39 major hours, we can arrange a memo to the College of Arts and Sciences to get it counted.