- BA English; University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- MA English, Education; Appalachian State University
- M.A. Certificate in Rhetoric and Composition
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards: Early Adolescence/English Language Arts
- North Carolina State Board of Education and Department of Public Instruction: Professional Educator's Licenses for Academically/Intellectually Gifted (K-12), Middle Grades Language Arts (6-9), English (9-12)
Teaching Awards & Honors:
- ASU College of Arts & Sciences Academy of Outstanding Teachers
- College of Arts & Sciences's Non-Tenure Track Teaching Excellence Award
- Sigma Tau Delta Outstanding Faculty Award (2017)
- "Most Helpful" Faculty and Staff List (AY 2016-17)
- Alpha Delta Kappa Honorary Organization for Women Educators
Heather's teaching practice and the work of one of her students was recognized by the Appalachian Chronicle in December 2017.
- Designed for Download: Strategies for Using Podcasts in Writing Courses -- co-presented at App State's 2018 Rhetoric and Composition Institute on 2 Feb. 2018.
- "I ain’t in your dream Keisha. You’re in mine": Spectral Communities and "More than Social" Consciousness in Twenty-First Century London Literature -- presented at the Midwest Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association Conference on 9 Oct. 2016.
- "Did You Really Mean Happy and Healthy are All that Matter?": A Mother’s Willingness to Write Multiple Narratives for Her LGBTQ Child -- presented at a meeting of the Caldwell County PFLAG Chapter on 16 Jan. 2014 and on the News Talk Morning Show of 1340 WJRI on 17 Jan. 2014.
- Kick Up Instruction with Interactive Notebooks -- presented at the North Carolina Association of Gifted & Talented Conference on 28 Feb. 2013.
Title: NTT Faculty
Department: Department of English
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-2318