Early Modern Literature, Shakespeare, Milton, Queer Studies
Fall 2018 Classes:
ENG 5825: Sexuality and Society in the Age of Elizabeth (Studies in C16 British Literature)
ENG 4830: Shakespeare's Early Works: Page, Stage, and Screen
TR 12:30-2:00 & by appointment
- Ph.D., English, The University of Arizona
- M.A., English, The University of Arizona
- B.A., English, Washington College (Chestertown, MD)
- Queer Milton. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2018.
- The Noble Flame of Katherine Philips: A Poetics of Culture, Politics, and Friendship, co-edited with Ryan Singh Paul. Pittsburgh, PA: Duquesne University Press, 2015.
- Psalms in the Early Modern World, co-edited with Linda Phyllis Austern and Kari Boyd McBride. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2011.
- "Queer Milton," special issue of Early Modern Culture: An Electronic Seminar, co-edited with Will Stockton. 2014.
- Recipient of the Milton Society of America's Irene Samuel Award for a distinguished multi-author collection on Milton.
Articles and Book Chapters
- "Sodomites and Mollies." In Early Modern Bodies. Ed. Sarah Toulalan. New York: Routledge. [Under contract]
- “Queer Comedy.” In Oxford Handbook of Shakespearean Comedy. Ed. Heather A. Hirschfeld. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2018. 298-312.
- “‘Which is worthiest love’ in The Two Gentlemen of Verona?” In Queer Shakespeare: Desire and Sexuality. Ed. Goran Stanivukovic. Arden Shakespeare. New York: Bloomsbury Publishing, 2017. 33-49.
- “Figuring Marital Queerness in Shakespeare’s Sonnets.” In Magic, Marriage, and Midwifery: Eroticism in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. Ed. Ian Frederick Moulton. Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2016. 131-50.
- “Biblical Poetics and Anti-Eschatological Prophecy in Philips’s Poetry.” In The Noble Flame of Katherine Philips: A Poetics of Culture, Politics, and Friendship. Ed. David L. Orvis and Ryan Singh Paul. Pittsburgh, PA: Duquesne University Press, 2015. 87-123.
- “Cross-Dressing, Queerness, and the Early Modern Stage.” In Cambridge History of Gay and Lesbian Literature. Ed. E.L. McCallum and Mikko Tuhkanen. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2014. 197-217.
- “Eros and Anteros: Queer Mutuality in Milton’s Doctrine and Discipline of Divorce.” Early Modern Culture: An Electronic Seminar. Issue 10 (2014). “Queer Milton.” Ed. David L. Orvis and Will Stockton.
- “Queer Renaissance Dramaturgy, Shakespeare’s Shrew, and the Deconstruction of Marriage.” In Developments in the Histories of Sexualities: In Search of the Normal, 1600-1800. Ed. Chris Mounsey. Lewisburg, PA: Bucknell University Press, 2013. 17-50.
- “‘Lustful Jove and his adulterous child’: Classical Paiderastia as Same-Sex Marriage in Dido Queene of Carthage.” In Performing Pedagogy in Early Modern England: Gender, Instruction, and Performance. Ed. Kathryn M. Moncrief and Kathryn R. McPherson. Aldershot, U.K.: Ashgate, 2011. 101-12.
- “Reclaiming ‘Old Sodom’ and ‘Dear Dad’: Vanbrugh’s Celebration of the Sodomitical Subject in The Relapse.” The Journal of Homosexuality 57.1 (2010): 140-62.
- “‘Thy glorious household-stuffe’: Doctrinal (Re)Inscription in George Herbert’s Church Furnishing Poems.” In The Sacred and Profane in English Renaissance Literature. Ed. Mary A. Papazian. Newark: University of Delaware Press, 2008. 285-320.
- The Academy of Outstanding Teachers. College of Arts and Sciences. Appalachian State University. Class of 2015-2016.
- William C. Strickland Outstanding Young Faculty Award. College of Arts and Sciences, Appalachian State University. Fall 2013.
Title: Full Professor
Department: Department of English
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-7299