- Folklore: Roots of Mountain Music (African Roots of the Banjo; Ballad Keepers)
- Appalachian Culture & Literature
- 20th C American Literature
- Duke University English, BA & MA
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, PhD.
- African Roots of Old Time Banjo & Fiddle Media Lecture with live music, Center for Black Music Research, Chicago & VFH, Charlottesville, 2005-6, 2008.
- Mountain Banjo and Dulcimer Maker Clifford Glenn Video. BRFI, NEA, NCAC, ASU, NC Tourism Office, 2004-8
- My Old Fiddle: A Visit with Tommy Jarrell (w Les Blank) Anthologized on Oxford American Magazine's 1st DVD, 2007. (NEA, NC Film & Flower Film Project, 1994.)
- Mountain Banjos, African Roots, and Influences Exhibit, Guest Curator, Appalachian Cultural Museum & 1st Ever Black Banjo Gathering, Co-Organizer (April 7-10, 2005)
- Robert Morgan's Lucid Poetry Video, Cane Creek & ASU.
- Black Banjo Songsters of NC and VA CD & notes [Co-] Producer, Smithsonian Folkways, NEA, 1998
- African Banjo Echoes in Appalachia. U of Tennessee Press & American Folklore Society, 1995
Awards & Grants:
- 2010 Project Director for National Endowment for the Arts grant for Black Banjo Gathering Reunion & More
- 2009 Fellow in Residence at International Center for Jefferson Studies, Monticello, NEH African Roots Seminar, VFH, Charlottesville, VA
- 2008-9 ASU Foundation Fellow
- 2008 Virginia Foundation for the Humanities Fellow
- 2005-present African Roots of Old Time Fiddle & Banjo Video, NEA, $20,000.
- Black Banjo Songster CD #2, SF (VFH, NCAC, ASU, NEH, NEA).
- Black Banjo Gathering 2005 Video, BRFI, NEA, NCHC, NCAC
- Black Banjo Songster Rufus Kasey Video, w E. Simon. BRFI, VFH, & ASU
To reserve copies of the following videos or films, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Black Banjo Gathering 2005 Video (BRFI, NEA, NCHC, NCAC)
- Mountain Banjo & Dulcimer Maker Clifford Glenn Video (BRFI, NEA, NCAC, ASU)
- Rick Ward: Beech Mountain Banjo (NCAC)
- Carolina Chocolate Drops: Apprentices of Fiddler Joe Thompson Become Rising Stars (NCAC)
Black Banjo, Blues & Jazz (PDF, 477 KB)
Department: Department of English
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-2350