Poet Laureate of North Carolina, Creative Writing
Office Hours:TR 4:45-6:15
Office Hours:W 2:00-6:00 & by Appt.
Education:University of Pittsburgh: BA, 1975
Education:University of Pittsburgh: MA, 1988
Education:Warren Wilson College: MFA, 1991
- COMMUNION PARTNERS (Poems), Briarpatch Press (Davidson, NC), 1986.
- ANSON COUNTY (Poems), Williams & Simpson, Inc. (Greenville, NC), 1989.
- THE FEAST OF ALL SAINTS (Poems), Nightshade Press (Troy, Maine), 1994.
- THIS METAL (Poems), St. Andrews College Press (Laurinburg, NC), 1996; Nominated for the National Book Award; winner of the Poetry Council of North Carolina's 1997 Oscar Arnold Young Award for best book of poetry published in 1996.
- EAST LIBERTY (Novel), Banks Channel Books (Wilmington, NC), 2001; Winner of 2001 Carolina Novel Award; Finalist for Foreword Magazine’s Book of the Year Award in Literary Fiction.
- ANSON COUNTY (Reprint of Poems), Parkway Publishers (Boone, NC), 2005.
- COVENTRY (Novel), Novello Festival Press (Charlotte, NC), 2006; Winner of 2006 Novello Literary Award; Finalist for Foreword Magazine’s Book of the Year Award in Literary Fiction; Winner of Independent Publisher’s (IPPY Award) Bronze Medal for General Fiction.
- THEY CHANGED THE STATE: THE LEGACY OF NORTH CAROLINA’S VISITING ARTISTS, 1971-1995 (Nonfiction), The North Carolina Arts Council (Raleigh, NC), 2007.
- THE HIGH HEART (Short Stories), Eastern Washington University Press (Spokane, WA), 2007; Winner of the 2006 Spokane Prize for Short Fiction; Semi-finalist Glasgow/Shenandoah Prize; permanent selection for The Sons of Italy Book Club; St. Andrews College (Laurinburg, NC) One Book, One Community 2008 Summer Reading Book.
- LAND OF AMNESIA (Poems), Press 53 (Winston-Salem, NC), 2009.
- RESTORING SACRED ART (Poems), Star Cloud Press (Scottsdale, AZ), 2010; Winner of the 2010 Roanoke Chowan Award, given annually by the North Carolina Literary and Historical Association for the best book of poetry published in 2010.
- THIS METAL (Reprint of Poems), Press 53 (Winston-Salem, NC), 2012.
- SONNETS OF THE CROSS (Poems), Jacar Press (Durham, NC), 2013.
- ANSON COUNTY (Reprint of Poems), Press 53 (Winston-Salem, NC), 2013.
- CONCERTINA (Poems), Mercer University Press (Macon, GA), 2013.
- HALF OF WHAT I SAY IS MEANINGLESS (Creative Nonfiction), Mercer University Press (Macon, GA), forthcoming 2014; Winner of the 2012 Will D. Campbell Award in Creative Nonfiction.
- THE ANTHOLOGY OF BLACK MOUNTAIN COLLEGE POETRY, Jargon Press (Asheville, NC), Joseph Bathanti, Brian Butler, Blake Hobby, and Alessandro Porco, eds., forthcoming 2014.
- THE LIFE OF THE WORLD TO COME (Novel), University of South Carolina Press (Columbia, SC), forthcoming 2014.
- Advising Handbook
- BA, Creative Writing Concentration
- BA, Film Studies Concentration
- BA, Literary Studies Concentration
- BA, Professional Writing Concentration
- BS, English Education
- MA, English
- MA, English Education with a Concentration in Community College Teaching
- Honors Program
- Composition Program
- English Department Scholarships
- Office of Student Financial Aid
- Prestigious Scholarships Program (PSP)
- Programs of Study (Checksheets)
- University Writing Center
- English Department Photos