Fall Creative Writing Scholarship:
The updated deadline for the fall creative writing scholarship competitions in Poetry and Creative Prose (short fiction, creative nonfiction, memoir, and dramatic writing) will now be THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 3 by 7 pm.
- Update: due to the maintenance period for the university’s new scholarship portal, manuscript submissions and required information will be submitted only by email to Professor Mark Powell at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your email heading should be FALL CONTEST: PROSE Your Name OR FALL CONTEST: POETRY Your Name
- In your email with the attachment, please include: Name, ASU email, phone number, titles of works, genre (poetry or creative prose), your major, and your current hometown.
- Submit your manuscript as a single attachment. Please number pages.
- Poetry should be single-spaced. Creative prose should be double-spaced. Scripts should follow conventional script format for plays or screenplays. Please use 12-point font.
- You may enter in both prose and poetry categories in separate submissions.
- For poetry, submit 4 poems combined in one document attachment
- For creative prose, you may submit short fiction, memoir or creative nonfiction, or the script of a complete play or screenplay. All work submitted should be stand-alone and self-contained—that is, it should not appear to be a chapter excerpted from a longer work.
- Scripts may be any length; other creative prose entries should be no longer than about 25 pages, double-spaced.
- Scholarships are open to all English majors, in any concentration. The John Foster West scholarship for creative prose or poetry is open to all majors. Students simply apply to the whole competition and the creative writing faculty will sort winners accordingly.
- Winners will be announced by the end of the Fall exam period and awards will be applied to Spring 2024 accounts. If you win an award, please contact your Financial Aid counselor as soon as you are notified to see how this will affect your financial aid funding.
- Amounts for Creative Writing Scholarship Fall Competition
- John Foster West Endowed Creative Writing Prize -$ 802 (all majors eligible)
- Marian Coe Scholarship in Creative Writing - $1,207 (English majors)
- Marjorie South Idol Prize for Fiction and Creative Prose Income - $1,453
- Marjorie South Idol Prize for Poetry Income - $1,480